Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sweny's Pharmacy & Bloomsday 2012

 
Our intern visited the charming Sweny's Pharmacy recently and found out what they will be doing for Bloomsday 2012.

James Joyce fan or not, Sweny’s is a must for everyone visiting or living in the Dublin. Without trying to sound too cliché, walking into this historic pharmacy is truly stepping into the past. From the moment I pushed open the old, wooden door I instantly fell in love with this tiny place that you literally sometimes have to step sideways to fit in. James Joyce wrote about Sweny’s in Ulysses after he himself paid the pharmacy a visit. Mr. Bloom, Joyce’s main character, visits Sweny’s in search of cream for his wife but he leaves with only one thing: a bar of lemon soap.

“Mr. Bloom raised a cake to his nostrils. Sweet lemony wax. - I’ll take this one, he said”
                                    Ulysses, J.Joyce (1922)

Since then, Sweny’s has not changed a bit. Old prescription bottles and packages abandoned by their almost owners remain lining the walls of the store. Bits and pieces of times past which have been donated by various supporters are on sale. I for one fell in love with an old wooden jewelry box that I was sure was full of wonderful stories. If it weren’t for my having no room in either of my suitcases I would have bought it before anyone else could lay their eyes on it. Instead I opted for a €5 second-hand book.

Glass jars with enticing, homemade boiled sweets have made their way among the books and you can even get a bar of the famous lemon soap for just €3.50; a perfect gift for those literature lovers at home.

Sweny’s is completely run by dedicated volunteers but go in on any day and you’ll find at least one of them dressed to perfection as a chemist; coat, bow tie and all. I was lucky to speak with a volunteer and what a wonderful encounter it was. He shared with me a wealth of knowledge about Sweny’s and Joyce and there wasn’t a question I asked that he could not answer. I was told that this year for Bloomsday the shop will be renting out old time costumes for those truly dedicated to the time and works of Joyce, or for those who just want to have a bit of fun! The volunteers will dress for the occasion as well.

Pop in for daily readings of Joyce which take place Monday-Saturday all year round but be sure to get there early because there are very few seats and even fewer places to stand! Sweny’s is by far the most charming place I have been to in Dublin and after visiting I felt a true connection to the city’s past.

No comments:

Post a Comment